There was a house fire just one street over from us last night. It was scary but the fire department responded very quickly and no one was harmed -HUGE bonus to living on base the fire department is less than 1 mile from every single house- anywho, so with the fire happening so close to our house it sparked a few conversations today about what to do during a fire, where to meet, when did we last change the batteries in our smoke detector....etc.. Haylee is not a level headed child she gets very scared very quickly when something is out of her control. She is SO SO SO type A just like her dad and her grandma Huhmann. She kind of freaked out last night when she saw the black smoke rising into the sky and the flames at the top of the house, before she even saw flames she ran over to my neighbors house burst in their door and said "THERE'S A HOUSE ON FIRE YOU HAVE TO COME OUT HERE!" my neighbors were pretty sure it wasn't our house that was on fire but their kids who are 6, 4, and 2 were scared to death. While we were standing outside every time we would see flames Haylee would say "OH MY GOSH!" in a way that would indicate we were going to die at any moment. lol to me very real to her. I had to keep reminding her to stay calm and that we weren't in any danger. Later on that night I talked to her about her freaking out and scaring the neighbor kids, she realized she overreacted and was fine. This morning we had this conversation:
Haylee: mom I am sorry I freaked out last night
Me: That's ok, but I want to talk to you about being level headed and thinking clearly when there is an emergency. The most important thing in any emergency is to STAY CALM. If you freak out you will not make the best decisions, stay calm and it will help you stay safe. That's why we practice what to do in an emergency.
Haylee: Yeah ok, like I know if I am in my room and there is a fire I feel the door before I go out and if it's hot I put a blanket at the bottom of the door so smoke can't get in my room then I go to the window and open it as wide as I can and yell for help.
Me: That's exactly right, good job.
Haylee: So I am going to yell for help two times then jump out the window!
LOL! So much for keeping a level head. We were cracking up and then had to talk to her about how it wouldn't make sense to injure yourself jumping out the window unless your room was so full of smoke you couldn't breathe or the fire was very close to you. It was too funny though. All that talk about how important it was to stay calm and she is jumping 5 seconds after she opens her window.
Gosh I love that girl!
No comments:
Post a Comment