Wednesday night the 19th Joe had to work late. Haylee has piano before mutual so she was at her lesson and I was in the car and Joe called me from work our convo:
Him: are you home?
Me: nope at piano what's up?
Him: when will you be home?
Me: well after piano and mutual so about 8:30.
Him: ok I need to talk to you about some stuff.
Me: (totally freaked out) why? What's going on? Did you get orders? Are we moving?
Him: no we are not moving, I just need to talk to you about some scheduling stuff.
Me: ooookaaaay -
Him: I'll see you at 8:30
It was such an odd conversation but I thought whatever maybe they wanted him to go on a long TDY or something and he just wanted to talk to me about it. Didn't think much of it. He called me back five minutes later -he cannot keep a good secret for more than 5 minutes I get birthday and Christmas presents early he just can't wait- this time he says "I made Senior" -meaning Senior Master Sergeant- I was like "what?!? Oh my gosh!" Then I told him how proud I was of him and started to cry. I just could not believe it. I don't think he could either. He had been telling me for months that there was no way he was going to make it. That he would need an insane board score. Well, he got it!! 14,000 people tested and only the top six percent made it! 999 out of 14,000!!!! So CRAZY!! In a time where the military is getting downsized and people are getting forced out Joe gets promoted. So insane. I am so proud of him for all it has taken to get to this point. For my non military friends a quick explanation of rank: enlisted people come into the Air Force as an E-1 a.k.a Airman; the enlisted ranks go up to E-9 which is a Chief Master Sergeant. Senior Master sergeant is an E-8. E-8 and E-9 makes up the top three percent of enlisted Air Force. Only three percent!
Most people retire as Master Sergeants -that was sort of our plan too. We had not decided anything for sure but I was definitely leaning towards getting out of the military in just over two years. I was ready to be done :) this new rank brings a whole new list of possibilities. We have not decided anything concrete but we will stay in the military for at least another four years.
It has been such a whirlwind since he found out. So many thoughts going through my mind. My heart overflowing with pride and gratitude and love. So many friends and family calling, texting, face booking their most sincere congratulations. It has really touched me. Not that you don't expect people to congratulate you when you accomplish something but it has just been over the top with sweet messages about how deserving Joe is of the promotion.
I am so very grateful for the blessings in our lives. The future is uncertain but as a wise missionary once wrote to his mom, a favorite quote of his: "hope on, journey on". I know that Heavenly Father has a plan and that His hand is in our lives even more than usual because of that missionary who is serving Him in a jungle in Brazil. We will face whatever new adventure lies before us together and go forth with faith.


1 comment:
Awesome!
Post a Comment