Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Trek -a few months late

I obviously don't post often enough.  Our stake did trek back in July. I had a cold but didn't feel sick just annoying sick where I was coughing and stuffed up.  Quick summary of things I remember
-no running water.  
-lots of cow poop
-tent sleeping.
-cow poop
-standing in a field (of cow poop) at 1 am trying to light wet fire wood to heat up broth whilst dressed like a pioneer and trying to do so in complete darkness -no moon- best comment as we are standing there waiting for the youth goes to Lana "look at us standing here in this field at 1 am dressed like pioneers. If someone just came upon us what would they think? People often find Mormons peculiar. Right now I find us peculiar too!"  Lol 
-womens pull. Amazing. while observing as the girls were left to pull the carts alone up the steepest most treacherous part of the trail and seeing the anguish and concern on the boys faces as they had to stand by and watch. It made me think that when a husband leaves his wife for wordly things that is exactly what he is doing.  Leaving her to pull the cart alone with the help of their children. The path is steep and difficult.  It is a great struggle to pull that heavy cart. I wanted to tell those boys to remember how they felt watching helplessly as the girls pulled -how badly they wanted to help them I wanted them to remember that is what happens if they ever leave their families.  It should be the mans top priority to keep his family together and pull the cart.  Don't start a journey with someone and fill the cart with innocent children then walk away.  I do not imagine the Lord will look upon that favorably. 
-we had amazing weather.  Coolest trek on record for our stake I am sure. 
-finding the band more search than rescue as usual ;)
-eating at fosters at 9:55 in our pioneer clothes and laughing until we almost fell out of the booth. 
-riding in all kinds of ways in Becky's small truck most notably on Lana's lap. 
And in the back at 2am in the rain with Larry. 
-testimony meeting. So powerful.
-the hoedown!  How fun was the Virginia reel! 
And now pics:
Trekking 
Lana and I 
President Volk getting a ride in style 
We hauled firewood in our skirts across this bridge over and over and over. 
Feeling snazzy in my pioneer bonnet 
Loved this pic from the hoedown 
Lana said she could have ridden like this for days and days. I did not believe her.
Stake YW presidency. I love these ladies so much. They have taught me so many things and are such wonderful examples.  I am so grateful to serve with them at this time and place. 
Lots of bonding occurred with these awesome youth and their trek families.  
An experience I will always remember!!

No comments: