Friday, February 6, 2015

Meeting the POTUS

Hello! It's me - Tara! After such a long lost time. Last Friday was an epic event in our lives and I must get it down in all the craziness that is life right now...
On January 30th we were able to go to the White House and meet President Barack H. Obama in the OVAL OFFICE!!  For the last ten years Joe has been in the PAG which is part of the White House Military Office.  When it's time for you to depart WHMO you are invited to go to the White House and have a departure photo taken with the president. It was seriously the coolest experience ever. We had to wait outside for a while in the surprise crazy snow fall for about an hour then we got to go inside to a second holding area and wait a bit more. When it was time to go further inside the WH we came to an area that looked familiar, we
Realized we were on the opposite side (than we had previously been on) of a red partition that is put up so the first family can move about the WH without anyone who is on a public tour.  Once when we were visiting we were on the east side of the partition and one of the aides there told us President Bush had passed by just a minute before. This time we were on the west side of the partition -fancy! We waited in a foyer for a while then an aide said "we need to move you guys for a minute" and he shuffled us all into the kitchen hallway and closed the door. There was an event at the WH that day so the kitchen was a busy place. We were lining both sides of a maybe four foot hallway and staff were pushing through is with big bouquets of flowers and trays. We were right by the dummy waiter and elevator. Cool! After 10 minutes or so they came back to get us and ushered us all back to where we were.  I am so curious as why we had to be moved out of sight. I am sure I will never know. After 10 more minutes or so of waiting we were moved out one door and walked outside down the west wing colonnade as pictured below
See the brown desk inside? We walked thru those doors and right past that into a hallway to wait our turn.  In the hallway Joe and I were chatting and I told him I was going to make sure and say "Mr. President" somewhere in our meeting just so I could use that phrase. When would I ever get to say that again?? In the hallway we were in were some family photos blown up and framed very nicely. There were a couple of photos of the President getting off the airplane and one of him on board. The aides and the secret service were very, very nice. When we were about 2 couples away from going inside the aide said "don't be nervous" for the record we weren't nervous at all "the president will make you feel right at home, like he's known you forever. Relax and take it all in.  Then it was our turn to go inside!! We stepped into the Oval Office and stood to the side with a mil aide who would announce is. There was so much to look at!  The rug,
the desk, paintings and statues.  And then there was the president himself! I remember thinking "holy cow that is the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!" The real deal!  how cool is that???  We had about 20 seconds -seemed like 3- to take it in and then we were being announced to the POTUS. It was surreal to see him standing there just like a normal regular guy in front of his desk.  The president smiled and reached to shake Joe's hand. Joe said "Good Afternoon Mr. President." I said "It's nice to meet you Mr. President." The POTUS said "come on let's take a picture" he put me in the middle of him and Joe (they told us where to stand but the pres. Guided me to the spot) as he did he said "you stand in the middle, a rose between two thorns." He put his arm around me and I ended up with my arm around him. Between that and the rose comment (which is oddly not the first time someone has said that to me) I don't even know if I was smiling for the photo!  I didn't suck it in or make sure my sweater was in place or anything!  It happened so fast!  I hope I don't look like an idiot!  Lol before we went inside we were briefed about what was appropriate -don't make any requests of the pres. Don't give him anything, no political statements etc. I had really wanted to tell him about the kids but you literally only have like 40 seconds in there. After the photo the president stepped in front of us and asked "what's next for you guys?"  Joe replied "we are headed to Whiteman Air Force Base, sir" the pres said "that will be great, love the Midwest" or something like that that part is a little fuzzy lol - then he asked "do you have any kids?" In the .0000002 seconds that I had to decide how to respond I decided just saying "Yep!" Was dumb so I said "we have three. Our oldest is 21 and serving a mission in Brazil" the president didn't hear the mission part as soon as he heard 21 he held up his hand/pointed at me and said "wait, wait, wait. You have a son who is 21??!"  Points  at Joe and says "him I believe it but you? No" And shakes his head. Joe said "she ages well sir". Ha ha ha we cracked up about that later. I knew our time was up and I didn't want to not mention the girls so I said "we also have a 19 year old daughter in college at BYUI and a 13 year old daughter at home and she would want us to tell you she says hello." He kindly replied "you tell her I said hello!" Then he said "so she will be making the move with you. How is she doing?" I said "she is excited, though it is hard to leave after
10 years"  he said "I am sure it will be
good" and put his hands on the outside of mine and Joe's arms and said "thank you again for your service."  And we walked out.  Joe said "geeze chatty Kathy!" I was like hey he asked me a question!! Lol we knew some other couples that had their pictures taken that day and when they came out they said "he talked to you guys forever!!" We probably had about 60 seconds as opposed to everyone else's 40.  I can't help it if I am easy to talk to!  Lol it was such a great experience!!!  Can't wait to get the photo back!!!! 
Here is what we wore. It was SO windy that day! 

This is what the Oval Office looked like that day 
It was AMAZING!!!  Hands down coolest thing to ever happen to us!  

No comments: