August we traveled back to Maryland to pick HD up from his mission!!!! So fun to see our friends and to get to hug my sweet boy! He was as awesome as ever and it was so near to hear his stories and to have him speak fluent Portuguese for us. I am sure he felt a bit like a circus act when he first came home. :p.
He and I at the airport
Our family back together!
Same sense of humor came back from the jungle. :)
We spent two and a half weeks with the kids and enjoyed every minute before they were both back off to college. Darn successful people anyway. Lame. Haylee also started 8th grade and joined a million activities. Ok only like 4 but it seems like a lot. September was just school as normal busy volunteering and working. Fun high school football games and loving small town life! At the end of September Haylee and I were in sacrament meeting and imagine my surprise when they are reorganizing the stake YW presidency and they read my name over the pulpit asking the ward to sustain me as the 2nd counselor in the stake YW! I almost fell over. They had motioned for me to stand and I did and I tried to stay composed and not freak out. When I sat down Haylee said "you didn't even tell me!" I told her "news flash they didn't tell me either!" She thought it was hysterical and could not stop her shoulders from shaking with silent laughter. I was just shaking! Lol. I had no idea what to do. Do I tell someone? Do I need to tell them now that I had no idea? Did they read the wrong name? A hundred thoughts raced through my mind as I tried to focus on the sacrament. During the sacrament the stake high counselor and one of the stake presidency members realized their mistake so they got up and explained to the congregation that I had not been formally extended the calling and then asked me if I could meet with them after sacrament meeting. That's when I realized they did mean to read my name and that they sustained me all across the stake that day! It was a lesson in attending your meetings people can you imagine if I hadn't gone to church that day? No one would have known that I didn't know! It was a unique experience for sure. :). In October my friend Amy asked if I would like to come work for her and her hubby (out stake president and dentist) they needed a dental assistant that could fill in for sick people and when someone took maternity leave. I said yes and then a few days later said no. I felt I couldn't give my all to that job while working at the hospital and I wasn't ready to give up my baby job (it didn't really occur to me that I could). In November Haylee made the winter guard team (flag spinning) and I realized if I was working on a Saturday I would miss her whole competition! I am not a mom who misses things. The dental office gig would be super part time and at most a Monday -Thursday 8-5 job. Also, it was a "real" grown-up job! They would train me and pay for me to get certified plus cover all of our dental costs not paid for by insurance! Deal! I have been working there since December and I LOVE IT! Who knew I would love teeth? Crazy but it is such a great fit for me. I love the work and the patients and my boss is pretty awesome too. ;)
December both kids came home for two weeks and my dad came to visit. Joe's sisters were both at the farm Christmas Eve so we spent the day there. We had a blast. It was so great to have everyone here. January was dental office work and guard competition for Haylee along with her landing the role of Juliets nurse in the school production of Romeo and Juliet. She is really excelling here and I love the things she is involved in. Look at the young women in our ward!!
There are so dang many! It is awesome! Our ward is huge and definitely feels like our family now. Joe's closest friend just happens to the the stake president (yes also my boss) which is an awesome thing. We love the Heath's and are so thankful they befriended us when we moved here! (I tried to get their middle kiddo hooked up with HD but that smart girl decided to serve a mission!) :) February is going well. I went home for my moms retirement. She flew for Delta for 45 years!!!! Amazing. She loved her job and it was hard for her to leave but it was time. She felt peaceful about her decision and it was wonderful to celebrate with her. Getting her queen robe, crown, flowers and scepter. Rick even rented a red carpet and a limo!!
Mom with her sisters
So much fun! Sierra has had a rough February but I won't go into that in this post. To sum that up 5 trips to the ER in 3 weeks with kidney stones, partially dislocated jaw, and a hard scary fall on some ice. It has been TOUGH. Through it all though we have both seen the tender mercies of the Lord and we are so thankful!!!
I was able to be at one ER visit with her. Poor girl. This kid spends a lot of time at the docs.
Today Haylee competed in the Science Olympiad regional tournament. She competed in three events. Picture This -didn't place, Mission Possible -she had to build a Ruth Goldberg? Machine. She placed 4th and will compete in state and her third event was Reach for the Stars and she took FIRST! -she will compete at state in that event too! We were so proud of her!!!! She loves science Olympiad and works really hard.
Ok friends you are caught up. We'll sort of, this is the best it's going to get! :) maybe I'll keep up on this now and maybe I won't. My hope is I will. I need to document things better. Hugs to you all!
Two quick happy pics to end:











1 comment:
you blogged! Missed you here! Miss you IRL too!
What a year:)
this is Lana FYI, on Grace's computer, she doesn't like me to log out.
Post a Comment