I didn’t rush to her because she wasn’t alone, she was in the hospital (where they took mediocre care of her) and she has my dad and Joey. So let’s talk about that real quick. About 6 days after the accident Joey said he needed to think about some things and that hospitals were “hard for him”. Seriously. When I got there day 8/9 he hadn’t come to see her and wasn’t checking in. Day 13 he broke up with her completely. I went to get lunch and came back to a hysterical Sierra. She was sobbing, hyperventilating and just losing it. I did my best to calm her but nothing was working. She wanted to get out of bed and run. Not easy to do with a recently repaired femur and ankle (her ankle needed two plates and a bunch of screws to stabilize the break) we got her out of bed and walking the hall a little bit she was dying to go outside. She needed fresh air and to see the sun. We had asked for days if she could go outside but they gave her the runaround. That day I found a nurse (it was actually student nurse George cause he was the first person I saw) and told him “George, find her nurse. We ARE going outside. Get us a wheelchair.” After a quick explanation they did and we went out and Sierra felt the sun for the first time in two weeks. Obviously Joey was a super jerk and Sierra is WAY better off without him. The pain he caused her was almost worse than the accident. Hate that guy.
Ok now back to when we got there. I spent every day cheering, advocating and trying to keep Sierra comfortable. They had not let her have a shower -and never did in that hospital. It was awful. I got her in the bathroom and washed her hair and helped her clean up all over. When I was helping to take off her underclothes I saw her bum and back for the first time. She had a HUGE bruise running up her right butt cheek. How the heck did that happen? Obviously Sierra didn’t know it was there since she couldn’t see it. I commented “How on earth did you get a bruise here?” She replied “must have been where the angles were bracing me.” I really think that had to be it. Oh that poor girl. She was so beat up. Day 14 she had surgery on her orbital bone. That was the exact surgery Joe had on his eye when he got hit with the softball. The doc was impressed with my orbital bone surgery knowledge lol. Every surgery set her back in pain so much. It was horrible. She was doing ok then they operated on her eye and she was back to square one. Out of control pain, just miserable. They afternoon they told her she was being discharged. What. The. Heck?!? Her pain was a nine she hadn’t eaten or moved but they wanted me to load her up in the car and take her home. The whole time the plan was to get her to a rehab hospital. She was in no condition to go back home. She hadn’t even showered!! I was on the phone with her case worker, the rehab place and her nurses. We finally made a plan to get her to the rehab hospital. We had to transport via ambulance. Keep in mind two seconds before that they were going to throw her in the car with me. Anywho, the ambulance came around 8:30pm. The nurse gives me a bunch of paper work and tells me I need to go to the pharmacy to get Sierra’s meds. WHAT? It’s almost 9 at night and now I have to find a rite aid to get meds? Awesome. I ran to rite aid, talked to the pharmacist like a crazy person because I am not Sierra but need her meds. The pharmacist says to give them a minute. After 10-ish minutes they call me up and tell me that the rehab hospital has their own pharmacy and in fact four of these five prescriptions have been sent over there electronically. I cried then I was FUMING. I ran out of there and down to the rehab hospital. The place is locked up but the ambulance that took Sierra is there they give me her room number and about that time some nice lady is walking out the front door and she holds it open for me. I had to look completely crazy. Crying, carrying three vases of flowers, goodness. I went in the place looks deserted. No big signs so I am wandering hallways looking for a room number. I finally find her, I am so relieved and she tells me they have her almost zero pain meds. The rehab place had to follow the hospital orders until the rehab docs saw her the next morning. She had had surgery THAT DAY. Her pain was a 9!! I lost it. I was just bawling s. Poor Sierra. She was telling me she was ok and trying to comfort me. Oh what a night. It was just terrible. I stayed with her for a while and had to get home to get some sleep. I went to Tys and cried myself to sleep. The next morning I get a text from Sierra that says the rehab docs almost choked on their coffee when they realized how little pain meds she had been given considering she has EDS and was a trauma patient!! They adjusted her meds quickly and got her a shower. A real actual shower!! What a blessing Casa Colina would turn out to be. Sierra spent two weeks there and they were amazing. We met some wonderful people and they just took such good care of Sierra. I had to leave her about day 19 and it was crazy hard. The only thing giving me the strength to walk out the door was knowing that the nurses and docs at CC would take such good care of her.
The months since her accident have been rough. Sierra is amazing. Not that we didn’t know it before but this has brought it to a whole new level. She has strength that goes deeper than anything I can describe. She is full of grace and keeps a smile on her darkest days. Our testimonies have all grown because of her.
She went back to work about 8 weeks after the accident. She was driving about 12 weeks later. She has just been a shining example to us all. I will post more pics soon. Just wanted to get the words out. :)
My next post will be all about our baby Emmett. He is a joy in our lives. 💙
No comments:
Post a Comment