I am so thankful for this time of year for many reasons tonight I am thankful it is conference time again. You can watch conference on the Internet at lds.org, or byutv, or listen on the BYU radio app, OR go to any local lds chapel and watch in the chapel. While staying home in our pjs and watching always sounds preferable, the First Presidency has asked that we go to the chapel to watch conference. Tonight the girls and I did just that. It started off with a great talk about gossip and being kind. It was sister Brighton from the general primary presidency. She was great!! The second speaker was Carol Stephens from the RS presidency -parts of her talk hit us right in the heart. She told a story about a young lady who had some massive mental challenges and who was having a "floor day" meaning she was on total sensory overload and could not dealwith anything not sound or light or touch. Sister Stephens told of how the girls mother laid on the floor with her for over an hour repeating "I would do anything to take this pain from you" over and over again. That got both Sierra and I crying. Then she said as the mother and daughter lay there and the mother says again "I would do anything to take this pain from you." The daughter looks up and says "you don't need to. Someone took it from me already. He took it from me." In the midst of the daughters pain and was able to testify of the atonement. What a powerful moment between a suffering daughter and a grieving mother. I know exactly how that mom feels. It is heartwrenching. Then Bonnie Oscarson Spoke. She was great too. She told us that sisters needed to known the bedrock of the doctrine of the gospel. That we need to be bold and clear in our teachings. The concluding speaker was President Uctdorf. He was of course wonderful. He spoke a lot about faith and the things that it could and could not do. He also told some cute stories and one that involved the missionaries knocking on every single door for FOUR floors of apartments. At the last door, after everyone else turned them away, a young girl answered and convinced her mom to let them in. That young girl is his wife. :) I am so thankful for inspired leaders. More than once I felt like they were speaking just to me. To our family to our situation. Amazing. Can't wait for conference to continue next weekend.
1 comment:
They really asked us to get dressed and go watch in the chapel? I missed that sad news
Post a Comment