Thursday, March 14, 2019

Brave

Haylee needs blood drawn.  Haylee does not do needles.  At all.  Ever.  When she needed a shot for school this year she passed out before a needle was near her.  She had barely stepped foot inside the clinic and down she went.  She had last Thursday and Friday off school.  We headed to the lab Thursday before lunch.  I was prepared to be there for a couple of hours because once her anxiety kicks in it is near impossible for her to do what she needs to do.  We walked in, gave the tech her ID at the desk and headed right back.  Imagine my surprise when Haylee walks in the lab without any coaxing or coaching or reassurance.  I advised the tech Haylee needed to be on a bed and not in a chair in case she passed out. That was my first mention of her anxiety. (I had prayed I would know what to say to the tech and to Haylee. I feel the tech needs to know she is scared so they don’t go too fast but I also think that it is worse when we talk about it.) Anywho, Haylee climbed on the bed and the tech got out the supplies.  I expected Haylee to freak out, she did not. The tech put the turnicate on. I expected Haylee to freak out, she did not.  The tech got the needle I was ready for Haylee to run away or kick the tech or freak out!!  She did NOT!  She took a deep breath and the tech stuck the needle in, I expected Haylee to punch her, she did not!!! Now for the sad news, the needle was in but no blood was coming out the tech moved the needle around.  That was BAD BAD BAD for Haylee and she started to freak out.  Saying “STOP! STOP!!!”  The tech was awesome and took the needle right out.  Then Haylee got very pale and said she was having some tunnel vision and feeling clammy- the tech laid her back and got her feet above her heart.  Then that sweet tech got her two ice packs and some water.  Once Haylee was feeling ok I posed the question could we try the other arm?  The tech came in, the tech went out, in and out over and over with several minutes in between.  Finally Haylee said “ok” the tech put the turnicate on but Haylee could not handle her picking up the needle.  Haylee felt so bad that she couldn’t try again.  I write all this to try to show the genuine fear that Haylee has.  I felt the day was a HUGE victory because we went in and she let them stick her!!!!!  When we left Haylee said “I  figured if we just went fast my mind wouldn’t freak out as bad.”  And it didn’t!  It worked!  Hopefully we will try again next week.  I was so proud of her.  After that we went to Olive Garden to celebrate.  Anytime we go on the weekends the wait is 45 minutes or longer.  It was so nice to get there and be seated right away!  :) 

Friday we rescued our friends. They were headed to the lake to snowshoe.  They were on a road that was drifted over.  The drift didn’t look deep until they were in it and they didn’t have a shovel.  
Joe and Brent worked really hard at shoveling. Steph worked a little and I was mostly on hand for cheering and looking fab. It took over an hour to dig them out!  
Me and Steph. 

Steph getting ready to go under the truck. 

The snow was so hard on top that if you didn’t sink about 18 inches it broke like this.  It was cool! 

That night we met old friends for dinner.  

Saturday was our Chief’s get together. 
When I got there someone said “you and Monica are dressed alike”. It got even funnier when I realized our hubbies were twinning too!! 

The hubs. 

Me and Lisa and Laura.  Two of my faves! 

Us with the Weiners. 

The guys.  I have a girl one somewhere. 


Sunday was church, Monday Joe woke up with his eye looking like this.  Thankfully a guy in our ward is the base optometrist. I texted him and he told Joe just to walk in his office and he would see him between regular patients.  :) He also evaluated him right then through pictures and us answering questions about Joe’s symptoms.  I was worried because it’s the left side of his face which is where his titanium plates are from his accident. Good news, his blood vessels are just freaking out.  Steroid drops, artificial tears and an appt for a week from now if it isn’t better.  It looks tons better today!! 

Tonight Haylee passed level five!!!  She was so happy.  She loves ice skating. 

This was the sunset at 8:05, I saw it after dashing to the library to print a couple of things for Haylee J.  

We live in a beautiful world!  And I am extra glad we aren’t getting snow from the massive storm over Colorado,  South Dakota and even most of North Dakota.  :) I’ll take the meltdown that is happening with the warmer temps!    


No comments: